Try out this healthy alternative to tater tots. All the crispyness and flavor you are wanting, with fewer carbs. Even the little ones will eat them up.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbl fat free half-n-half
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1/3 cup shredded lowfat cheddar cheese
- 4 egg whites
- salt & pepper
- oil for frying
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, adding the florets to a microwave safe bowl.
- Add the cream and butter to the bowl. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and cheese to a food processor and blend until still chunky; to a consistancy similar to oatmeal. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for at least half an hour.
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the cauliflower mixture to lighten it up. Then fold the cauliflower mixture into the rest of the egg whites and gently mix until combined. For best results, chill for another half hour or they won’t hold their shape as well when placing them on the baking sheet.
- Fit a pastry bag with a round or star tube with about a 3/4 inch opening. Spray the inside of the bag with nonstick spray. Load mixture into pastry bag.
- Gently squeeze out 1 inch sections onto a greased cookie sheet, cutting with a butter knife as you go.
- When finished, bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes (*-double if you are not pan frying) until puffed and slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve – or heat 1/4 inch of oil in a saute pan and when it’s very hot add the tots. Around 1 minute per side, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately, as they tend to lose their crispyness the longer they sit.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Cookingchanneltv
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com