This Roasted Butternut Squash With Sausage Stuffing recipe is pure comfort food! It is also a complete low-carb, gluten-free and paleo-friendly meal with lots of veggies and protein.
- 2 small butternut squash (halved lengthways)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1oz dried sour cherries or cranberries
- 6 Italian sausage links (or 1 lb. ground Italian sausage)
- 1.5oz Gruyère cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Scoop the seeds out of the butternut squash halves and put them into a large roasting tin. Season well and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Roast for 30 minutes
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and cook the red onion over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until starting to soften and turn golden. Stir in the pine nuts and cook for 1 minute. Tip into a bowl and the sour cherries or cranberries. Season well.
- Split the sausages and put the meat into the bowl. Mix everything together with your hands until combined. Spoon the mixture evenly into the hollows in the squash. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 355F. Continue to roast the filled squash in the oven for a further 20-30 minutes until golden and the squash is very tender.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 587Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 32gCholesterol 76mgSodium 918mgCarbohydrates 23gFiber 5gSugar 7gProtein 27g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.