Recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork – This is an authentic sweet and sour pork recipe that is better than your favorite Chinese restaurants.
Sweet and Sour Pork
This is an authentic sweet and sour pork recipe that is better than your favorite Chinese restaurants.
- 1 pound pork butt, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- white sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Place cubed pork in a medium bowl, and season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Mix in the egg white and green onions. Cover, and place in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- Heat 1 quart oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a large, heavy saucepan or deep fryer.
- Coat the pork with 1/2 cup cornstarch, and fry in the heated oil about 10 minutes, until evenly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok over medium heat. Stir in the celery, green bell pepper, and onion, and cook until tender. Season with salt and sugar. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, mix 1 cup water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, and 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce. Bring to a boil, and stir in the cooked pork, celery mixture, and the pineapple chunks with juice. Return to boil, and mix in 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water to thicken. Cook until well blended.
Prep Time: 20 minutes - Cook Time: 20 minutes Yield: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 663
Fat per serving: 35g
Saturated fat per serving: 7g
Carbs per serving: 75g
Protein per serving: 14g
Fiber per serving: 2g
Sugar per serving: 52g
Sodium per serving: 1085mg
Cholesterol per serving: 43mg
Photo: Andrea Nguyen / CC BY
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com