Recipe for Southern Fried Okra – Fried okra is my all-time favorite vegetable. It is the only green vegetable that I get excited about eating. I can eat a ton of it.
Southern Fried Okra
Fried okra is my all-time favorite vegetable. It is the only green vegetable that I get excited about eating. I can eat a ton of it.
- 1 lb okra
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- Rinse okra and slice. Discard stems and tips.
- Pour buttermilk over sliced okra; cover and chill 30 minutes.
- Remove okra from buttermilk. Dredge okra in cornmeal.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a Dutch oven or large skillet. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Fry okra in batches until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes - Cook Time: 10 minutes Yield: 6 servings
Calories per serving: 529 kcal
Fat per serving: 33g
Saturated fat per serving: 3g
Carbs per serving: 51g
Protein per serving: 8g
Fiber per serving: 4g
Sugar per serving: 6g
Sodium per serving: 164mg
Cholesterol per serving: 3mg
Photo: Kirk K
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com