The crispy edges make this Bacon Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread hard to beat and the perfect side to complete any Southern style meal…and who doesn’t love bacon and cheese?
- 5 slices bacon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt 1 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
- Fry bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; reserve remaining bacon grease in skillet. Crumble bacon.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place skillet with bacon grease in oven.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk milk, buttermilk, butter, and eggs in another bowl; stir milk mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Fold in Cheddar cheese and jalapeno peppers. Allow batter to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Pour batter into hot skillet and sprinkle with crumbled bacon, gently pressing bacon into batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 piece
Amount Per Serving Calories 373Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 97mgSodium 766mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 9g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.