Enjoy a smoky and spicy classic Slow Cooker Gumbo that takes just a couple of minutes to prepare. When it’s ready, serve over a bed of herbed rice.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz andouille sausage
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups okra, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp round red pepper
- cooked white rice
- First, we need to make a roux. This is the hardest part of this dish. If you don’t feel like standing at the stove for 20 min, don’t make this gumbo. You can not leave a roux, you must stir constantly to avoid burning it.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, stir together flour, and oil. Let the stirring begin!! Cook over med high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. After the 4 minutes is up, you may begin to get nervous as you see the sauce breaking but don’t worry, just keep stirring!
- Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes or more until the roux is dark reddish brown. Let Roux cool.
- In a crock pot, add chicken broth, add the roux; stir.
- Add the sausage, the bell pepper, the okra, onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper, and chicken.
- Stir to combine. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve over rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 586Total Fat 41gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 27gCholesterol 122mgSodium 1108mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 32g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: Bubblecrumb