Enjoy a smoky and spicy classic Slow Cooker Gumbo that takes just a couple of minutes to prepare. When it’s ready, serve over a bed of herbed rice.
Slow Cooker Gumbo
Cuisine: Cajun, Creole
Enjoy a smoky and spicy classic Slow Cooker Gumbo that takes just a couple of minutes to prepare. When it's ready, serve over a bed of herbed rice.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 12 oz andouille sausage
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 cups okra, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp round red pepper
- cooked white rice
- First, we need to make a roux. This is the hardest part of this dish. If you don’t feel like standing at the stove for 20 min, don’t make this gumbo. You can not leave a roux, you must stir constantly to avoid burning it.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, stir together flour, and oil. Let the stirring begin!! Cook over med high heat for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. After the 4 minutes is up, you may begin to get nervous as you see the sauce breaking but don’t worry, just keep stirring!
- Reduce heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes or more until the roux is dark reddish brown. Let Roux cool.
- In a crock pot, add chicken broth, add the roux; stir.
- Add the sausage, the bell pepper, the okra, onion, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper, and chicken.
- Stir to combine. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe and Photo: Bubblecrumb