Most people I know dislike brussels sprouts – which is a shame, as this little green dudes are made of health. But bacon? Everybody loves bacon, and anything with bacon tastes great…just like these Seared Brussels Sprouts With Bacon!
Seared Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
Most people I know dislike brussels sprouts - which is a shame, as this little green dudes are made of health. But bacon? Everybody loves bacon, and anything with bacon tastes great...just like these Seared Brussels Sprouts With Bacon!
- 1/2 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/2-inch by 1/4-inch lardons
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds small brussels sprouts, outer leaves discarded, stems trimmed, split in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- walnuts for garnish
- Add bacon and olive oil to 12-inch nonstick skillet. Add enough water to barely cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring to break up bacon. Allow water to completely evaporate, about 8 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring and tossing occasionally until bacon is crisp on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to fine mesh strainer set over large heat-proof bowl.
- Toss sprouts in bowl with bacon fat until well coated. Wipe out skillet and add 1 teaspoon bacon fat. Heat over high heat until smoking. Add as many sprouts as fit in single layer face down to skillet and cook without moving until deeply charred, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook on until second side is charred and sprouts are tender-crisp throughout, about 3 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to serving bowl.
- Repeat with remaining sprouts. Add rendered bacon to serving bowl and toss all to combine. Garnish with walnuts. Serve immediately.