Crispy bacon, ooey, gooey cheese and crispy yet soft potatoes combine to make the most awesome of appetizers!
Restaurant Style Potato Skins
- Potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 8 oz of cooked bacon bits
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese of choice (we used colby-jack shredded cheese)
- Salt & pepper
- Sour cream (optional)
- Green onions sliced thinly (optional)
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees. Puncture each uncooked potato with a fork several times. How many potatoes to use are dependent on how many you want. Remember that each potato will make 2 potato skins.
- Place all the potatoes in the microwave and cook on high. For 8 potatoes, try 10 minutes. If the potato is not soft when squeezed, add 2 minutes on high until soft. Times will vary depending on the amount of potatoes being “baked” in the microwave and also will vary depending on the watts your microwave uses. Once potatoes are “baked” (soft when squeezed), remove from microwave to cool for at least 7-10 minutes.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice potatoes lengthwise in half. Using a spoon, gently scoop out the potatoes into a bowl leaving behind a potato shell. Save the scooped potatoes to make mashed potatoes another day. Prepare an area for the fried potatoes by doubling over paper towels over a cookie sheet.
- Once deep fryer is fully heated, drop 3 potato skins (or how many you can fit in the deep fryer) into the hot oil. Fry for 45-60 seconds.
- Remove potatoes and place open side down to allow oil to drain. Repeat until all potato skins have been fried. After placing the new batch open side down, turn the prior batch over to drain oil off the outside of potato skins.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering in foil and brush a little butter, margarine or oil onto the foil. Sprinkle with salt and/or pepper. Place cooled potato skins open side up onto prepared baking sheet. Turn oven on to broil.
- Sprinkle salt and/or pepper onto potatoes. Fill potatoes with cheese as much as you like.
- Sprinkle cooked bacon bits on top.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with sliced green onions and/or sour cream.