This Garlic & Herb “Green” Rice is a nice Mexican twist on boring old rice. A good accompaniment for just about any main course, especially grilled meats.
Garlic & Herb “Green” Rice
This Garlic & Herb "Green" Rice is a nice Mexican twist on boring old rice. A good accompaniment for just about any main course, especially grilled meats.
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup packed flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup mint
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- add 1 1/4 cups water to the chicken stock and bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- place the parsley, cilantro, mint and chives in a blender. add 1 cup of the hot stock and purée. pour in the rest of the stock and purée on high until you have a very smooth and beautifully emerald green broth. about 2 minutes.
- in a medium-large pot, heat the olive oil. add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onions are soft and translucent. add the rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. stir well to coat the rice with the oil and onions. sautee the rice until it just starts to turn lightly golden brown. add the herb broth and another 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. add the butter, mix it in then cover the pot and cook the rice for 15-20 mins, until tender. it's ok to lift the cover and check! turn off the heat and leave the rice covered for 5-10 mins. fluff the rice w/ a fork, taste for seasoning and serve!
Recipe and Photo: food is luv