Recipe for Strawberry Preserves – Canning is not rocket science. But it is a science. There are principles of canning, and they need to be carefully followed
- 6 cups prepared strawberries (about 2 quart boxes strawberries)
- 4½ cups sugar
- 1 lemon juiced and zest (optional)
- Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.
- Procedure: Sterilize canning jars and prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer’s directions.
- To prepare fruit. Select large, firm, tart strawberries. Wash and drain berries; remove caps.
- To make preserve. Combine prepared fruit and sugar in alternate layers and let stand for 8 to 10 hours or overnight in the refrigerator or other cool place. Heat the fruit mixture to a boiling, stirring gently. Boil rapidly, stirring as needed to prevent sticking. Cook to 9 degrees F. above the boiling point of water, or until the syrup is somewhat thick (about 15 or 20 minutes). Remove from heat; skim.
- Fill hot preserves immediately into hot, sterile jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: nchfp.uga.edu
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com