Spruce up plain potatoes with this simple casserole. With ham, cheesy, and a creamy Dijon sauce; everyone will be going in for seconds. Me…I will have thirds, please.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 8 ounce reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), cut up
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (4 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives or green onions
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold or round red potatoes, cut in thin wedges
- 8 ounces sliced cooked Black Forest ham or country ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed bagel chips
- Thyme and/or Italian parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- For sauce, in medium saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender; stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and mustard. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Whisk in Neufchatel cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese until cheese is melted. Stir in chives.
- In bowl combine potatoes, ham, and sauce; toss gently to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; stir carefully. Sprinkle with crushed chips and remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Let stand, 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with herbs.
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com