Recipe for Layered Picnic Salad – This salad usually has something for everyone with all the different components of sweet, salty, crunchy and creamy. It is important however, that all the ingredients are at their prime.
- 1/2 head Iceberg Lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Layer the ingredients in the order listed into a trifle or other glass bowl reserving some of the bacon if desired to sprinkle on top.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl making sure to taste for seasoning. Spread dressing over entire bowl making sure to cover the entire surface. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple of hours. Before serving add reserved bacon bits.
Recipe adapted from: Susikochenundbacken