This is a filling and satisfying lasagna. Not only does it have sausage, ground beef and three types of cheese; it also has all those veggies stuffed in. With all of the other goodness, we are sure picky eaters won’t mind.
- 2/3 package(s) (16-ounce, about 12 noodles) lasagna noodles
- l/2 lb bulk Italian pork sausage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 medium bunches spinach, about 1 1/2 pounds
- olive or salad oil
- 1 package shredded provolone cheese or Italian blend cheese
- 1 container(s) (32-ounce) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (26 oz.) prepared pasta sauce with chunky vegetables
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) white pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley, chopped
- Prepare lasagna noodles as label directs using 2 teaspoons salt in water; drain.
- Meanwhile, finely chop onion and garlic. Cook and drain ground beef and sausage. Remove tough stems from spinach. Rinse spinach well to remove any sand. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or salad oil, cook onion & garlic until tender but not browned; add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook over high heat until spinach wilts; set aside.
- In medium bowl, mix ricotta, Parmesan, nutmeg, and 3/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- Prepare sauce: In 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or salad oil, cook flour 1 minute. Gradually stir in pasta sauce, Italian seasoning, white pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens slightly. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In 13″ by 9″ glass baking dish, arrange one-third of lasagna noodles, overlapping to fit. Spread half of ricotta mixture over noodles. Spread layer of mixed ground beef and sausage. Drain off liquid from spinach if any; spoon half of the spinach over ricotta mixture; then top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layering adding shredded provolone. Top with remaining noodles, then remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake lasagna, covered, 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Remove lasagna from oven; let stand 10 minutes for easier serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Delish.com