These Traditional Irish Potato Pancakes are a simple Irish dish that is so delishiously creamy on the inside and crispy goodness on the outside, always make extra mash potatoes just to have these the next day with any protein.
Traditional Irish Potato Pancakes
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
These traditional Irish potato pancakes are a simple dish that is so deliciously creamy on the inside with crispy goodness on the outside. Always make extra mash potatoes just to have these the next day!
- 1 cup raw, grated potatoes or
- 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup (about) milk to mix (not if using mashed potatoes)
- Butter or oil for frying
- green onions or fresh parsley (optional)
- Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture. Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes and eggs. Add enough mix to make a batter.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Butter each boxty and serve hot with or without sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 205Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1027mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 6g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Feather Magazine