This gumbo recipe made in the slow cooker has all the flavor of traditional gumbo but none of the tedious steps or hard-to-find spices.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups frozen cut okra
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounce size) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounce size) frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 3 cups water
- In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.This is your Roux. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in crockpot; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes. Serve gumbo over rice.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving Calories 391Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 37mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 11g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.