Recipe for Party Macaroni Salad – This recipe makes a great side dish for any summer barbecue or picnic. Make it in advance and refrigerate it for at least two hours.
Party Macaroni Salad
This recipe makes a great side dish for any summer barbecue or picnic. Make it in advance and refrigerate it for at least two hours.
- 2 pounds dry shell or elbow macaroni
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 4 stocks celery, cleaned and slice
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, roasted
- 1 ear corn, roasted in husk (optional)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese (1/4 pound shredded, 1/4 pound cut into 1/2″ cubes)
- 1/4 pound Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can black olives, drained and sliced (optional)
- 25 sweet, bread & butter pickle chips, chopped finely (plus 1 tablespoon of the pickle juice)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons pasta-boiling water
- Place red pepper and corn ear into hot oven and roast for 15 minutes or until the skin of red pepper blisters and begins to turn black. Remove the outside skin from the red pepper, remove the seeds, and chop. Remove the corn husk, and remove corn kernels from the ear with a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad dressing by fully combining the mayonnaise, buttermilk, pickle juice, rice vinegar, pasta water, and mustard. The consistency should be fluid but not water-like. If it’s too runny, add more mayonnaise. If the dressing is too thick, add more pasta water.
- Boil the pasta according to packaging directions. Drain well. Place pasta in large serving bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of the salad dressing. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients. When the pasta has cooled to room temperature, add the remaining ingredients. Toss together. Coat with the remaining salad dressing. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate.
- Enjoy with your favorite barbecue buffet.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: NewRecipesforLife.com
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com