This Oven Fried Chicken tastes JUST like fried chicken, but it’s healthy and baked! My fried food loving husband LOVES this chicken!
Oven Fried Chicken
Tastes JUST like fried chicken, but it’s healthy and baked! My fried food loving husband LOVES this chicken!
- 1 1/3 cups rice-corn crispy cereal, (recommended: Chex)
- 2 1/4 cups broken bagel chips or melba toast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (Use light or fat-free to reduce the calories)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken pieces (about 6 ounces each)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Set a rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray.
- Finely grind the cereal and toasts together in a food processor. Transfer crumbs to a large gallon size plastic bag. Add the oil, salt, cayenne, paprika, and ground pepper and toss to mix thoroughly. Whisk the light mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a medium shallow bowl. Add chicken to mayonnaise and turn to coat all the pieces evenly.
- Drop the chicken into the plastic bag, seal and shake until each piece is evenly coated. Place coated pieces on the prepared rack.
- Spray the chicken pieces evenly with cooking spray, and bake until the coating crisps and browns and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the pieces registers 160 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes.
We like to cook the chicken on the bone for a real moist and juicy chicken experience. If you can’t find bone-in skinless chicken, simply pull off the skin before coating. Chicken breast halves can be quite large. To get a healthy 6 ounce portion, cut the breast pieces crosswise with a heavy knife into pieces about the same size as a chicken thigh.