These melty mozzarella sticks make awesome appetizers. Simple. Quick. Delicious.
- 5 mozzarella cheese sticks/string cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- olive oil
- Line baking sheet with foil and brush with olive oil.
- Cut cheese sticks in half.
- Lightly beat eggs in small bowl.
- In medium bowl, combine panko, parmesan, oregano, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and several grinds of freshly ground pepper.
- Place flour in another small bowl. Season with freshly ground pepper and a dash of salt.
- Dip cheese sticks in egg. Dip in flour mixture. Dip in egg again.
- Dip in panko-parmesan mixture. Firmly press a thick layer of the panko-parm onto the cheese stick.
- Place on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining cheese sticks.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- They can be covered at this point and baked off a day or two later (maybe even longer!). I baked mine the next day.
- Preheat broiler. Move the rack near the top of the oven. (Mine worked best on the second "notch" from the top.)
- Drizzle the mozzarella sticks with olive oil. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn and bake for another 2 to 3 minutes, turning as necessary to brown all sides. (I turned mine a total of three times.)
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Serve warm, with marinara sauce, if desired.
- To rewarm and make the cheese all melty again, pop the sticks in the oven for a minute or the microwave for a few seconds.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1 stick
Amount Per Serving Calories 265Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 110mgSodium 607mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 15g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: Bake House