When you have a craving for German food (or mushrooms), this Jaegerschnitzel recipe, a traditional pounded cutlet with a mushroom sauce, is what you need.
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more if necessary
- 1/2 cup flour, for dredging
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- Salt and Pepper
- To prepare the pork, cut each pork chop in half through the middle to create two thinner pieces out of each chop. Place each pork chop in a ziploc bag, and with a mallet, pound to flatten to about 1/4-inch thick. Season each piece with a bit of salt. Then dredge the pork in the flour, dip in the lightly beaten eggs, and coat in the bread crumbs. Set the breaded chops aside.
- In a large pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until it just begins to get crispy, about 5-7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, leaving the rendered fat in the pan. Set the bacon aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the bacon fat remaining in the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the bacon fat remaining in the pan, so that you have a very thin, even layer of bacon fat and oil. Add the breaded pork cutlets and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, over medium heat, until they become lightly browned and cooked through. Cook in batches, adding more oil between each batch, if necessary. Set the cooked pork aside.
- If the pan has any burned bits on the bottom, clean the pan before proceeding or use a new pan for the following steps.
- Add butter and flour to the pan over medium heat. Whisk to combine. Cook for a minute or two. Then, gradually begin whisking in the beef stock. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes, whisking frequently. The sauce will thicken. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the cooked pork cutlets, mushrooms, bacon, and any juices to the sauce. Gently move the pan to coat the pork in the sauce. Cook for a minute or two to reheat all components. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 chop w/ gravy
Amount Per Serving Calories 990Total Fat 61gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 35gCholesterol 282mgSodium 2144mgCarbohydrates 40gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 68g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.