A Greek favorite that makes everyone think you are a master chef and is sooo easy to make! The phyllo dough for this Greek Baklava recipe is found in the freezer section of most grocery stores.
- 2.5oz almonds fine chopped
- 13oz walnuts fine chopped
- 8oz filo dough
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Grated rind of two lemons
For the syrup:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon rosewater, or vanilla essence
- Juice and grated rind of one lemon
- Mix almonds, walnuts, bread crumbs cinnamon and sugar. Melt butter and mix with canola oil for brushing the filo sheets.
- For the first layer lay 4 sheets of filo in a 25x36cm baking pan and brush them one by one with butter-oil. After sprinkle with walnuts-almond-breadcrumb and sugar mix
- Then every layer two sheets of filo butter and spread walnuts-almond mix.
- Follow the same until all the mix is used. Fold in the sides of filo each time you create a new layer.
- Place the last 4 sheets of filo on top brush each one with butter-oil. Brush again the last filo with melted butter mixed with tablespoon of warm water.
- Cut baklava to 24 triangle pieces. Bake 150c or 300f for about one hour and half.
- Boil the water sugar, and the lemon juice for about 8' minutes. Then add the honey and continue boil for two more minutes. Remove from the heat and add rosewater or vanilla.
- Pour the syrup on the cold baklava and let it absorb the syrup and for at least 4-5 hours before served.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 377Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 10mgSodium 108mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 2gSugar 35gProtein 4g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: greek-islands.us