Everyone loves cream puffs, even more if they are chocolate! If you make these Chocolate Cream Puffs, they WILL disappear in a flash!
Chocolate Cream Puffs
Everyone loves cream puffs, even more if they are chocolate! If you make these, they WILL disappear in a flash!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
For the pastry dough:
- 2 cups milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 5oz plain semi-sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate pastry cream:
- Mix egg yolks with sugar and vanilla.
- Bring milk to boil. As soon as milk comes to boil, take some hot milk (like ½ cup) and add it in the egg yolk mixture, mixing it in fast.
- Add flour to the mixture, then stir it in the boiling milk. Mix for few minutes, remove from heat, and immediately add chocolate, and mix it well.
- If you like you can make half chocolate, half vanilla, then you need only half of the amount of chocolate. Let it cool down, later chill in the fridge, while making pastry. When cooled, add whipped whipping cream.
Make the pastry cream:
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bring water, butter, salt, and sugar to boil, then remove from heat, add flour mixed with cocoa powder, and mix well.
- Return to heat, and cook for another minute. Remove from heat again, and add one by one, 4 eggs, working fast with a hand mixer.
- Transfer mixture into piping bag, and pipe puffs about 3 inches across (or what size you like), and 2 inches apart onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Baker for about 30-40 minutes, take them out, cut of about top third of each puff, and return them to the oven for another 5-10 minutes to dry them out. Cool, and fill with cream.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, or even a chocolate drizzle.
For the pastry:
Prep Time: 40 minutes - Cook Time: 50 minutes Yield:
About 12 cream puffs