Ahhh, cheesy bread sticks…..let me just say, KIDS LOVE THESE THINGS! OK, who am I kidding, it’s not just kids who love these….grown ups do too!
Cheesy Bread Sticks
Ahhh, cheesy bread sticks.....let me just say, KIDS LOVE THESE THINGS! OK, who am I kidding, it's not just kids who love these....grown ups do too!
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast (or 1 1/2 packages)
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 3 oz warm water (3/8 cup)
- 1/3 cup instant nonfat dry milk
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1 stick of butter
- 2-4 tsp chopped garlic
- Shredded mozzarella, 4 + cups
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, and let stand 4-5 minutes.
- Place all dry ingredients (flour, dry milk, sugar, and salt) in mixer bowl. Using a dough hook, blend on low speed for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add oil and blend on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add water. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
- Add dissolved yeast and mix on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Spread dough out onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Place in a warm area to rise for about 45 minutes to an hour. You want it to be about doubled in size.
- Melt butter together with the chopped garlic. With a pastry brush, brush the butter and garlic all over the dough GENEROUSLY. You want it to have a good amount of butter and garlic.
- Layer the cheese on top of the butter mixture, again GENEROUSLY! The amount of cheese will vary based on your preferences.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Check after 10 minutes and turn tray around. Watch closely for the next 10 minutes because you don't want the cheese to burn.
- Remove from oven and wait a couple of minutes before cutting. Cut into thirds, and then into strips. Serve with warmed pizza or spaghetti sauce.
You can replace the dry milk & 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp water, and instead just use 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of milk.
Recipe and Photo: Little B Cooks