This is a great way to stretch your pork shoulder by making Pork Carnitas at home. These are great to eat as a taco with corn tortillas, tomatoes, shredded cabbage, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
- 3½ lb. pork butt (or shoulder), cut into 2-inch cubes with fat trimmed off
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cup pork stock (or water)
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. Manzanillo Mexican seasoning (or chile powder)
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Sprinkle salt over pork.
- Heat oil over high heat in an oven-proof pot. Sear the pork on all sides until browned.
- Drain oil and excess fat from the pot.
- Add pork stock (or water) into the pot to deglaze.
- Add oregano, bay leaves, ground cumin, smoked sweet paprika, Mexican seasoning, and garlic.
- Transfer the pot to the oven and cook for 2½ hours until almost all of the liquid has evaporated and the pork is falling apart.
- Transfer pork to a bowl and discard the liquid.
- When pork has cooled, shred pork with a fork to desired size.
- Turn the oven on High broil and place pork on sheet pan. Broil for about 5 minutes until the outside becomes caramelized and crispy.
Recipe and Photo credit: The Food Addicts / CC BY-NC-SA