The perfect BBQ Beef Brisket is the holy grail of barbecue—often pursued, rarely attained. This recipe is sure to get you pretty close though.
BBQ Beef Brisket
Yield: About 12 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Inactive Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
The perfect brisket is the holy grail of barbecue—often pursued, rarely attained. This recipe is sure to get you pretty close though.
- 1/2 cup ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 trimmed brisket with a layer of fat at least 1/4-inch thick, about 5 to 6 pounds
Dark Beer Mop, recipe follows
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 4 bottles of dark beer
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Rub the entire brisket with the spice mixture, place on a baking sheet, cover and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Prepare the smoker according to manufacturer's directions. Place the brisket in the smoker, fat side down, and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until extremely tender. Baste with the mop every 30 minutes.
Dark Beer Mop:
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 4oz. (precooked)
Amount Per Serving Calories 133Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 8mgSodium 720mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 4g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.