The perfect BBQ Beef Brisket is the holy grail of barbecue—often pursued, rarely attained. This recipe is sure to get you pretty close though.
BBQ Beef Brisket
The perfect brisket is the holy grail of barbecue—often pursued, rarely attained. This recipe is sure to get you pretty close though.
- 1/2 cup ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 trimmed brisket with a layer of fat at least 1/4-inch thick, about 5 to 6 pounds
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 4 bottles of dark beer
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Rub the entire brisket with the spice mixture, place on a baking sheet, cover and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
- Prepare the smoker according to manufacturer's directions. Place the brisket in the smoker, fat side down, and smoke for 4 to 5 hours or until extremely tender. Baste with the mop every 30 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan, season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.