These Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are soft and chewy oatmeal bars with a great hit of banana flavor, speckled with chocolate chips, baked and served warm. Don’t let the oatmeal fool you, these are breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert, if you ask me!
Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
These Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are soft and chewy oatmeal bars with a great hit of banana flavor, speckled with chocolate chips, baked and served warm.
- 1 very ripe banana (mine was 115 g)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8″ glass baking dish with foil and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork and then add the oil and brown sugar. With a whisk, mix well until there are no sugar lumps left.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and oats until combined. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a rubber spatula until combined. Fold in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pat batter down evenly into the prepared pan with the rubber spatula. Bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are golden and the center looks set. Let cool before cutting into squares. Or throw caution to the wind and eat them warm straight from the pan. Enjoy!