Recipe for Homemade Mac and Cheese – We love Macaroni and Cheese. Who doesn’t? This is THE best mac & cheese EVER!
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups uncooked macaroni
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk (we use 1%)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream (we use light)
- 1 1/3 cup cottage cheese (small curd)
- 2 to 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
- 25 to 30 Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook and drain macaroni.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Stir in flour and mix well.
- Add the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Add salt, sugar, and cubed Velveeta cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add the sour cream and cottage cheese. Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Put the macaroni, cheddar, and swiss cheese in a BIG bowl.
- Pour in the creamy cheese sauce. Stir really well.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13" casserole. Sprinkle the crushed Ritz crackers over the top.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Until crackers are a golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
Recipe and Photo: Just a Spoonful of…
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com