Recipe for Hawaiian Coleslaw – Planning a Hawaiian Luau, the menu has to fit the theme- here’s a Hawaiian Coleslaw everyone will shake their hips to!!
For the Salad
- 2 medium green cabbages, thinly sliced (FS- ½ a cabbage)
- 1 small red cabbage, thinly sliced (FS- ¼ red cabbage)
- 1 small napa cabbage, thinly sliced (FS- ¼ napa cabbage)
- 4 orange or red bell peppers, thinly sliced (dice 1 bell pepper)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (3-4 green onions)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped (½ cup fresh cilantro)
- ½ cup toasted sesame seeds to top (2 tbsp)
- Put the garlic and fresh ginger in a blender and pulse until finely minced. Place the remaining sauce ingredients in a blender and whirl until it is smooth. Set the dressing aside to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Use a slicing tool on a food processor and slice the cabbages. Slice the peppers into thin julienne strips.
- Chop the green onions and cilantro. Combine the salad ingredients, add the sauce right before serving and top with sesame seeds (to toast sesame seeds place on a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 350F for 5 or so minutes, keep an eye on them).
I really wanted to use tahini, but I couldn’t find any in the two stores we did our shopping in. I imagine that peanut butter would be really tasty here too, although you may want to reduce the peanut butter to ¾ cups as it is a much stronger flavor.
Recipe adapted from Gratefullynourished.com
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com