Looking for a tasty, low calorie potato salad recipe to take to a Memorial Day BBQ this year? Try this healthier version of a popular Southern recipe for Country Potato Salad, and enjoy the flavors you love without the guilt.
- 2 pounds small, red potatoes (skins can be left on or peeled off – whichever is preferred)
- 3 large hard-boiled egg whites
- 1 large hard-boiled egg
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 3 oz lean smoked ham, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped chives, fresh
- 2 tbsp chopped dill, fresh
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces and place them in a large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until just tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on their size. Drain and let cool for about 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, put them in a large salad bowl, and in add celery, ham, green onions, parsley, chives, and dill. Toss to combine. Add buttermilk, mustard, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Gently stir in chopped egg.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.