Recipe for Italian Dinner Soup – 2012 Best of the Midwest Recipe Contest for this simple, crowd-pleasing soup. It’s ready in 30 minutes and tastes like you’ve been cooking for hours.
- 1 pound uncooked Italian sausage links, casings removed (about 4)
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 14 1/2 – ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 9 – ounce package refrigerated ravioli or tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until no pink remains. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven combine chicken and beef stock and undrained tomatoes; bring to boiling. Add ravioli and cook 7 minutes.
- Add sausage and return to boiling. Stir in spinach to wilt, then add basil. Divide among soup plates and top with cheese.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Midwestliving.com