Close your eyes and imagine a visit to New York’s vibrant Little Italy, home to dishes like this mouth watering Italian sausage stew with peppers and crispy kale
Italian Sausage Stew With Peppers And Crispy Kale
Close your eyes and imagine a visit to New York's vibrant Little Italy, home to dishes like this mouth watering Italian sausage stew with peppers and crispy kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (finely sliced)
- 2 red pepper (halved, deseeded and finely sliced)
- 2 yellow peppers (halved, deseeded and finely sliced)
- 8 Italian sausages
- 2 garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 7 fl oz light red or dry white wine
- 7 fl oz hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3.5oz kale (chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the sliced onion and peppers. Stir everything together then add 1 tbsp water and turn the heat down low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring every now and then. Add a drizzle more water if the pan looks dry during this stage.
- Brown the sausages in a separate pan. Stir the garlic into the peppers and cook for 1 minute. Add the sausages to the pepper mixture, along with the wine, stock, herbs and vinegar and continue to cook, covered for a further 15 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet or grill pan. Rub the kale with oil and season well. Spread out in skillet or on grill pan, cooking until the edges are starting to crisp up.
- Divide the sausages and stew among four bowls, top with the kale and serve.