These are the best bread and butter pickles I have ever had!! And I have been looking for a long time. I guarantee you’ll love them!
Zesty Bread and Butter Pickles
These are the best bread and butter pickles I have ever had!! And I have been looking for a long time. I guarantee you'll love them!
- 9 to 11 lbs pickling cucumbers (about 50 – 3 to 4 inches)
- 1 pouch Mrs. Wages Zesty Bread & Butter Pickles Mix
- 8 3/4 cups Mrs. Wages White Distilled Vinegar (5% acidity)
- 7 cups sugar
- Prepare and process home canning jars and lids according to manufacturer’s instructions for sterilized jars.
- Wash cucumbers and remove blossoms; drain. Cut into thin slices. Whole cucumbers are not recommended.
- Combine mix, vinegar and sugar into a large non-reactive pot. Do not use aluminum. Bring mixture just to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture dissolves.
- Pack cucumbers into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Evenly divide hot pickling liquid among the packed jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles and cap each jar as it is filled. If more liquid is needed for proper headspace, add hot vinegar.
- Process pints 5 minutes, quarts 10 minutes, in a boiling water bath canner. Test jars for airtight seals according to manufacturer’s directions. If jars do not completely seal, refrigerate and consume within one week.
- Product is ready to eat after 24 hours. Before serving, chill to enhance flavor and crispiness.
Processing times are for altitudes less than 1000 feet. At altitudes of 1000 feet or more increase processing time 1 minute for each 1000 feet of altitude.