French Fries with Gravy and Cheese Curds – A savory mound of french-fried potatoes topped with beef gravy and fresh cheese curds. This Traditional Canadian Poutine is one the ultimate late-night snacks.
Traditional Canadian Poutine
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 15 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 17 hours 20 minutes
French Fries with Gravy and Cheese Curds - A savory mound of french-fried potatoes topped with beef gravy and fresh cheese curds. This Traditional Canadian Poutine is one the ultimate late-night snacks.
- 4 lb. russet potatoes, skin-on, washed and dried
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. whole green peppercorns
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 cups cheddar cheese curds
- Cut potatoes into lengths of about ¼" x ¼" x 4". Place in a large bowl, cover with cold water, and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add shallot and garlic, and cook, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add stock, ketchup, vinegar, peppercorns, Worcestershire, and salt and pepper, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat, and keep gravy warm.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3" in a 6-qt. Dutch oven, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325°. Drain potatoes, and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Working in small batches, add potatoes and fry, tossing occasionally, until tender and slightly crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels, and let cool for 20 minutes. Increase temperature to medium-high, and heat oil until it reads 375°. Working in small batches, return potatoes to oil, and fry, tossing occasionally, until crisp and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer fries to paper towels to drain briefly, and then divide among serving bowls. Pour gravy over each serving of fries, and top with cheese curds; serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 602Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 61mgSodium 734mgCarbohydrates 76gFiber 8gSugar 6gProtein 21g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Photo: Hungry Dudes / CC BY