Recipe for Thin Mint Cupcakes – If you like thin mints, you will love these cupcakes – each component highlights the chocolate and mint flavors and they all come together to make thin mints even better.
Thin Mint Cupcakes
- 1 cup coffee
- 16 tbsp. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 box Thin Mint cookies (32 cookies), chopped
Thin Mint Cupcakes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
Chocolate Mint Buttercream
- 15 Thin Mints, halved
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350° F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine the coffee and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the eggs and sour cream to blend. Add the coffee-butter mixture and beat just to combine. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed just until incorporated.
- Add the chopped Thin Mint cookies and fold them into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3 to ¾ full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate mint buttercream, in a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together butter and half of the powdered sugar until combined.
- Add the rest of the sugar and mix until completely incorporated. Then whisk for 2-3 additional minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts and mix until combined.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and cream and mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Frost the cupcakes as desired and top each with half a Thin Mint.