At a family picnic, someone once declared this “the best potato salad EVER”, so that’s been the recipe’s title ever since.
- 2 pounds (approx) red potatoes (or Yukon Gold) - washed, cubed & boiled until tender
- 4 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped (about 1 medium onion or 1/2 large)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped (2-4 stalks - I like more, my hubby likes less)
- 1 cup + 1 Tblsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tblsp. white vinegar
- 1 Tblsp. yellow mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat & set aside (don't drain!), lid on, for 20 minutes. Drain, run cold water over cooked eggs for 1 minute. Move eggs to a towel or rack to cool.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Wash & dice about 2 lbs. red potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Dump diced potatoes into boiling water (watch out for splashes - ouch!). Cook until fork-tender. Drain & set aside to cool.
- Wash & dice celery stalks. Dice red onion. Place both in a medium-sized bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, & vinegar.
- Stir well to combine. (Cover bowl with plastic wrap & place in the refrigerator if your potatoes & eggs aren't cooled yet. You can prepare the onion/celery/mayo mixture the night before, if you want)
- Dice the cooled eggs & add to cooled potatoes in a serving bowl. Sprinkle on about 1/2 tsp. pepper & 1/2 tsp. salt. (You might add it plus more later, after you've mixed everything. It's to taste so it's up to you.)
- Pour celery/onion/mayo mixture over the potatoes & eggs. Mix well, until all the potatoes are covered with the mayo mixture.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 117Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 96mgSodium 153mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 6g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: Dinner Time Ideas