If you love Thai food but prefer less spice, try this ultra-easy Thai-inspired cucumber and onion salad that’s refreshing, not hot.
- 2 cucumbers (wash with a light coating of dish soap and rinse, then skin can be left on)
- 1 shallot, minced OR 1/4 cup minced purple onion
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 fresh red chili, de-seeded and minced, OR 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1+1/2 to 2 tsp. sugar or more, to taste
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then repeat with each half until you have a number of long strips. Now slice the other way to create bite-size rectangular chunks. Place in a salad bowl.
- Add the shallot, green onion, chili/red pepper, and coriander to the salad bowl (keep back a little extra coriander for a garnish).
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a cup, stirring to dissolve sugar. Taste-test it for sweet-sour balance, adding more sugar if it's too sour for your taste. Tip: Note that the dressing will taste quite salty and pungent now, but will be perfect once combined with the salad.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss well.
- To serve, top with chopped peanuts, plus extra cilantro.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 288Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 25mgSodium 1463mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 3gSugar 17gProtein 14g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.