There is no need to serve plain and ordinary rolls when you have this Sweet Potato Rolls With Bacon Sugar Butter recipe!
- ½ cup warm water, warmed to 80 degrees
- 1 Tb active dry yeast
- 1 Tb honey
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tb unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-3½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1 tsp preferred oil, to grease bowl
FOR BACON SUGAR BUTTER:
- 12 bacon slices, cooked crisp
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 8 Tb (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE BACON SUGAR BUTTER:
- Place bacon in small food processor and chop for a few minutes. Add brown sugar and process until finely chopped. Melt butter in small bowl and add bacon sugar mixture to it. Stir to mix well. Set aside until ready to use for rolls.
FOR THE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl, combine yeast with ½ cup warm water and 1 Tb honey. Let proof for 5-10 minutes.
- Add to yeast mixture, melted butter, beaten egg, salt, and mashed sweet potato. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time until forms a soft dough.
- Knead for a few minutes on a floured surface until dough is smooth and springy. Shape into a ball and place in oiled bowl. Turn dough ball to coat in oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. *Can also be refrigerated overnight. Put covered bowl in refrigerator, do not let rise on counter, it will rise overnight. Next day, take out of refrigerator and bring to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Gently deflate dough and knead for a minute or two. Divide dough into 3 large sections, then divide each section into 12 small balls of equal size.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan and place 3 dough balls into each cup.
- Put 1-2 tsp of the bacon and brown sugar melted butter mixture on top of each roll. Cover with plastic wrap and place in warm area to rise until doubled in size, 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375. Bake rolls for 15 minutes. Can place flat baking sheet or large piece of foil on rack under muffin/roll pan in case of butter overflow. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack. Serve with leftover bacon sugar butter and eat!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 643Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 55mgSodium 472mgCarbohydrates 101gFiber 4gSugar 6gProtein 18g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.