If you have a pint or two of strawberries sitting on your counter and wonder what to do with them, consider trying this simple and delicious Strawberry Shortcake recipe!
- 1 Cup AP flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter - cold and cut into little cubes
- 3 oz heavy cream
- extra cream and sanding sugar for the biscuit topping
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp sugar, to taste
- 1 tsp good aged balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 2/3 Cup heavy cream
- 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
For the Shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix.
- Add the butter and cut into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (I like using my fingers to do this, but you could use two forks or a pastry cutter).
- Add the cream and stir to mix until the dough comes together. Use a light hand, and don't overwork.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and press together into a flat square shape, and roll out dough to 3/4 inches thick. Cut the dough into quarters, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with a little heavy cream and sprinkle with a little sanding sugar.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on baking rack to cool.
For the Strawberry Mixture
- Mix half of the strawberries with the sugar and balsamic vinegar, mashing gently with a fork to release the fruit juices.
- Toss in the remaining strawberries and set aside for 15 minutes to macerate.
For the Whipped Cream
- Whip the cream in a bowl with and electric mixer (or use a whisk if you've got strong arms!). When soft peaks form, add the sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
Assemble the Shortcakes
- Slice each shortcake in half crosswise. For each shortcake, place the bottom half of one shortcake cut side up on a plate.
- Layer a generous spoonful of the strawberry mixture, then the whipped cream, and finish with the top half of the shortcake. You can top with more of the strawberry mixture or whipped cream, or both.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 shortcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 646Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 24gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 110mgSodium 473mgCarbohydrates 68gFiber 3gSugar 35gProtein 7g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: Tender Crumb