Recipe for Steak Fajitas – Classic Tex Mex, fajitas are typically made with grilled flank steak with onions and bell peppers, and served sizzling hot with fresh tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
Classic Tex Mex, fajitas are typically made with grilled flank steak with onions and bell peppers, and served sizzling hot with fresh tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb of flank steak, skirt steak or carne asada
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
- 2-3 bell peppers of various colors, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into strips
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped (be careful not to touch your eyes or anywhere near your eyes after handling a Jalapeño pepper!)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Place the steak in the marinade and let it sit at room temperature for an hour, or longer in the fridge. Before cooking the meat, wipe off most of the marinade and season the steak with salt.
- Set a large cast iron pan or griddle over high heat and let this heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the tablespoon of oil to the pan and let this heat up for 1 minute. Add the steak, cooking on each side for 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. (3 minutes per side will yield approximately medium rare doneness for an average flank steak). If the pan starts to smoke too much, reduce the heat to medium-high. Remove from pan and let the steak rest, tented with foil, for 5 minutes.
- While the meat is resting; Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary. Add the onions and bell peppers. Let these sear for 1 minute before stirring, then stir every 90 seconds. Do this for 5-6 minutes total.
- Once vegetables are done; slice the meat against the grain into thin slices. (If you slice at an angle, you will be able to get the slices thinner).
- Serve immediately with shredded cheese, salsa, shredded iceberg lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and warm flour tortillas.