Oh my goodness this Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef is good. I suspect it’s much much better than Chipotle…because WOW, so much flavor! And tender and easy because you just throw it in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Beef
Oh my goodness this beef is good. I suspect it’s much much better than Chipotle...because WOW, so much flavor! And tender and easy because you just throw it in the slow cooker.
- 3-4 lbs. beef rump or chuck roast
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2-4 chipotle peppers in adobo (I use 3 for medium heat)
- juice 1 lime
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- warm tortillas
- cheese (Monterrey, Colby, or Pepper Jack)
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- guacamole or sliced avocado
- sour cream
- diced white onion
- chopped cilantro
- salsa or pico de gallo
- Trim beef of any fat and cut into several large chunks that will fit in your slow-cooker. Place the onion, garlic, broth, salt, pepper, chipotle peppers, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, allspice, and cloves in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour over the meat in the crock pot. Add the bay leaf. Cover and cook on high for ~6 hours or low for 8-10 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- Remove the meat from the slow-cooker and set aside to cool slightly before shredding. Return the meat to the slow cooker and toss with the juices (the more of the leftover juice you use, the spicier it will be). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings.
Recipe and Photo: A Hint of Honey