This is an excellent skinny chimichanga recipe. It is baked, instead of deep-fried. The chimichangas comes out crispy with a moist and flavorful filling.
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp mild green chili pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 in fat-free flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray; set aside.
- Spray a medium nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano, and cumin.
- Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon until browned, about 6 miuntes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and the chiles; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the flavors are blended and the mixture thickens, slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place in the oven to warm for 10 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla.
- Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
- Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 miuntes.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 chimichanga
Amount Per Serving Calories 169Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 42mgSodium 367mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 23g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.