This is a tried-and-true foolproof Roast Beef with Onion au Jus that my Mama has been making for years and years. Sure to become your family’s favorite.
Roast Beef with Onion au Jus
This is a tried-and-true foolproof Roast Beef with Onion au Jus that my Mama has been making for years and years. Sure to become your family's favorite.
- 2 beef eye round roasts (about 3 pounds each)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 cups water
- Additional water or beef broth
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- With a sharp knife, make four slits in the top of each roast and insert garlic cloves into slits.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown roast on all sides in oil; drain. Rub soup mix over meat. Add water; cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove meat from cooking liquid; cool meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Skim fat from cooking liquid; refrigerate in a covered container.
- Slice beef 1/4 in. thick, set aside. Pour cooking liquid into a large measuring cup. If needed, add enough water or beef broth to measure 3 cups.
- In a Dutch oven, combine au jus mix and reserved cooking liquid until smooth. Cook and stir over medium until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; add sliced beef and reheat on low for 15-20 minutes.