Recipe for Red Velvet Cupcakes – This mini version of the classic Red Velvet Cake is one of the more popular offerings in bakeries all across the country. Whip up a batch anytime, with this recipe!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
This mini version of the classic Red Velvet Cake is one of the more popular offerings in bakeries all across the country. Whip up a batch anytime, with this recipe!
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar, sifted
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with cupcake papers. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for about 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick for doneness. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the confectioner's sugar and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase the speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife or pipe it on with a big star tip.
Photo: At 350 Degrees