There’s no need to be stuck with plain pumpkin pie. These Pumpkin Dessert Bars are a great way to change it up, while keeping the pumpkin pie flavor that you love!
Pumpkin Dessert Bars
There's no need to be stuck with plain pumpkin pie. These Pumpkin Dessert Bars are a great way to change it up, while keeping the pumpkin pie flavor that you love!
- 1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Whipped topping and ground nutmeg, optional
- In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and 1/3 cup sugar; stir in butter. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and 2/3 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs just until blended. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, separate remaining eggs and set whites aside. In a large saucepan, combine the yolks, pumpkin, brown sugar, milk, salt and cinnamon. Cook and stir over low heat for 10-12 minutes or until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir into pumpkin mixture; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine reserved egg whites and remaining sugar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold into pumpkin mixture; spread evenly over cream cheese layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped topping and nutmeg if desired.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TasteofHome.com