Today (February 8), is National Girl Scout Cookie Day. If seeing those words makes you start fiending for some of those scrumtious Thin Mints —and you sadly do not see any green-uniform–clad salesgirls in the area—then go get ready to get your bake on. Because sometimes, really, the best way to make something happen is to do it yourself, with this recipe right here.
Make Your Own Girl Scout Thin Mints
Today (February 8), is National Girl Scout Cookie Day. If seeing those words makes you start fiending for some of those scrumtious Thin Mints —and you sadly do not see any green-uniform–clad salesgirls in the area—then go get ready to get your bake on.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ t salt
- ¼ t baking soda
- ¾ cup butter or vegan margarine (the real thing contains no butter, so margarine—we like Earth Balance for its absence of hydrogenated oil—will taste more accurate)
- 3 T milk (any kind, dairy or non-)
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- ½ t pure peppermint extract
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 T butter or vegan margarine
- ½ t peppermint extract
- Using a food processor blend dry ingredients, by pulsing. Add margarine, milk, vanilla, and mint extract and pulse until well combined.
- Scrape out dough, knead until all the ingredients are well incorporated, and chill in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, or until mixture is firm.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. When dough is ready, roll balls about as big as a heaping teaspoon, and press them, one by one, onto the baking trays, leaving about 3 inches of space around each.
- Flatten each to about a quarter inch thick and bake for 12-15 minutes at 350°. Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Melt chocolate chips and margarine until smooth using a double boiler or microwave.
- Stir in the mint extract. Dip cooled cookies into the chocolate using your fingers or a fork.
- Arrange cookies plates lined with parchment paper and refrigerate until coating sets.
Nutrition InformationYield 64 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 102Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 7mgSodium 36mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 1g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.