Nobody can resist this Low Fat Chicken Florentine. With it’s thick and creamy wine based sauce covering breaded chicken smothered in melted cheese.
Low Fat Chicken Florentine
Nobody can resist this Low Fat Chicken Florentine. With it's thick and creamy wine based sauce covering breaded chicken smothered in melted cheese.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. skim milk
- ¼ Tsp. corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta
- 2 Tbsp. low fat parmesan
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice from ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium pot bring quinoa and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Place whole wheat flour in a bowl and dredge chicken until it is covered on all sides. In a medium oven safe skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes per side until the outside is no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté shallots and garlic until tender; set aside one tablespoon of cooked shallots and garlic for the quinoa. Add sun dried tomatoes and parsley to the pan and cook for one minute more.
- Pour in white wine, ensuring to scrape the bottom to de-glaze the pan. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes to cook off some of the alcohol. Carefully add milk, ½ teaspoon at a time to prevent it from curdling. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Whisk in corn starch and continue to simmer until sauce thickens. Return chicken breasts to the pan, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top the chicken breasts with spinach, ricotta cheese and parmesan. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, fluff the quinoa and add reserved shallots and onions, 1 tablespoon of parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Chicken Florentine over a bed of quinoa.