These Italian Lemon Drop Cookies are simple and exquisite dessert. Soft lemon cookies that melt in your mouth, with the delicate taste and scent of citrus.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, margarine, or butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 cup water, or fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and lemon extract and beat well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt, and lemon zest; Mix well. The dough should be soft and sticky.
- With a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto a slightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone, spacing them about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until firm and lightly brown.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and allow to cool completely on wire racks.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract and mix until smooth.
- Frost the tops of each cookie with a metal spatula.
- Allow cookies to dry before stacking.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 30 Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving Calories 118Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 21mgSodium 44mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 0gSugar 14gProtein 2g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Photo: Fugzu / CC BY