General Tso’s chicken is sweet, spicy, and absolutely delicious. This lighter and gluten-free version allows everyone to enjoy this favorite Chinese take out dish. Serve with white rice and a large bowl of steamed broccoli for sharing. This is a dish that will be on your family’s menu every week.
Gluten Free General Tsos Chicken
General Tso’s chicken is sweet, spicy, and absolutely delicious. This lighter and gluten-free version allows everyone to enjoy this favorite Chinese take out dish.
- 1 pound of chicken thighs, boned and cubed
- 3 eggs beaten
- ½ cup & 2 teaspoons of corn starch
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 1 ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (or use sherry if necessary)
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- Mix ½ cup of the cornstarch and the 3 beaten eggs in a large bowl. Blend well until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add the chicken into the bowl and mix well to thoroughly coat in the cornstarch mixture.
- Prepare sauce in a small bowl, by mixing the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch well with the rice wine, vinegar, sugar and the gluten free soy sauce.
- Heat 1-2” of oil to medium-high heat in a large wok or skillet. In small batches, deep fry the chicken until just cooked throughout. Drain cooked chicken on a paper towels. (Note: If you have a deep fryer, you can use that to deep fry the chicken as well).
- Once all chicken is cooked, discard all the oil from the wok / skillet except for approximately 2 tablespoons. Add dried pepper and stir fry for about 30-60 seconds. Return the chicken to the wok / skillet and stir fry until the pieces are browned and crispy.
- Add the sauce mixture to the wok / skillet and continue to cook and stir until sauce because thick, bubbly and caramelized into a glaze. Serve immediately with white rice and a large bowl of steamed broccoli for sharing.