Recipe for Glazed Apple Lattice Coffee Cake – I absolutely loved this recipe and so did my friends and family I shared it with. I will be making this again, and again, and again…
Glazed Apple Lattice Coffee Cake
I absolutely loved this recipe and so did my friends and family I shared it with. I will be making this again, and again, and again...
- 4 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 packages quick rise yeast; (1/4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Butter
- 2 large eggs; at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter; (1/2 stick), softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar; packed
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg; freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground allspice
- 4 cups apples; peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Melt butter in a sauce pan, add milk and water, and heat until just warm (105-115 degrees F). Gradually add milk mixture to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. With spoon, stir in remaining flour to form a stiff batter; grease top. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; rerfigerate 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each half into 9- by 12-inch rectangle. Place each on a greased baking sheet. Spread with butter.
- Combine the brown sugar, flour, and spices in a large bowl. Add apples and toss to coat. Spread filling down center third of each rectangle.
- On each long side, cut 1-inch wide strips about 3 inches into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends.(* see photo) Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. until golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes. Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves. Serve warm or at room temperature.