French Onion Rib Eye Steak
French Onion not just for soup anymore.. Beefy Cheesy Juicy Goodness.. Wanna get your honey do list done…fix this for him!!
French Onion Rib Eye Steak
- 1 fat-trimmed beef rib eye steak (cut 2 in. thick, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1/2 teaspoon each kosher or coarse salt, cracked pepper, dried onion flakes, and dried garlic flakes (or fresh if you have time)
- 2 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup fat-skimmed beef broth
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
French Onions Preparation
- Peel and thinly slice onion. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, combine onion, butter, sugar. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is limp and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Add flour and mix well.
- Remove pan from heat; stir in milk and beef broth. Stir over high heat until boiling; continue stirring until liquid is almost evaporated and mixture doesn’t flow when scraped from pan bottom, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add gruyère cheese and parmesan cheese; stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use hot. If making up to 1 day ahead, let cool, then cover and chill; reheat in a microwave-safe bowl in a microwave oven at full power (100%) for about 1 minute.
Instructions for Rib Eye Steak
- Rinse beef steak and pat dry. Pat salt, pepper, onion flakes, and garlic flakes evenly onto meat.
- Pour oil and butter into an 8- to 10-inch ovenproof nonstick frying pan over high heat; tilt to coat pan bottom. When hot, add steak and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes total. Supporting meat with tongs, tip steak onto its edge and rotate to brown lightly, about 2 minutes total. As fat in pan accumulates, wipe out with paper towels.
- Put pan with steak in a 400° regular or convection oven and bake until meat is done to your taste (cut to test), 8 to 12 minutes for rare or about 25 minutes for well done.
- Turn oven heat to broil. Remove pan and wipe out fat with a paper towel. Mound French onions onto meat and sprinkle with cheese. Broil in pan about 6 inches from heat until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove pan from oven and pour broth around meat, stirring to release browned bits.
- Leave meat in pan or use a wide spatula to transfer steak and onions to a warm rimmed platter (pour juices around meat). To serve, cut meat and onions into 4 equal portions; set each on a rimmed plate and spoon juices around meat.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Myrecipes.com
Nutrition Information Compiled From VeryWell.com