As summer peaks around the corner, you’re going to want this Easy Steak Gyros with Homemade Pitas recipe in your arsenal for those sunny beach day picnics.
for the Pita Bread
- 1 cup of lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons (or one packet) of dry-active yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of flour, divided (2 cups + 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
for the Rosemary Butter Roasted Steak
- 1 inch and a half thick ribeye
- salt to season
- pepper to season
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
for the Tzatziki
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 3 Persian cucumbers or 1 English cucumber, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 an onion, finely chopped
- the zest of a lemon, just the yellow bit
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, about 1/4 of the lemon
- salt to taste
- tons of freshly cracked black pepper, this is an important flavor component of tzatziki
- Start by mixing the yeast and sugar with the tepid water.
- Whisk the mixture, and let it sit for 5 minutes. In the meantime, whisk 2 cups of the flour and the salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the yeast and water mixture to the flour along with the olive oil, and mix until a dough begins to form.
- Sprinkle more flour onto the counter top and begin to knead, adding flour as you go until the texture of the dough becomes smooth, slightly tacky, and plastic. Let the dough rest covered for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500F with a baking stone (if you don't have a baking stone, turn a cookie sheet upside down) on the center rack.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece out to about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place the flattened pita onto a floured transferring board and slide onto the baking stone. The pita will puff up and get brown. They should be done after just 6 minutes.
- Cook the steak however way you want. Let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Wash and peel the cucumbers, onion, and garlic. With a simple box grater, grate all three of them using the finest setting.
- In the same bowl, add the yogurt (some people use yogurt + sour cream for a richer, creamier sauce), the lemon zest and juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Assemble and serve with extra tzatziki on the side.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 gyro
Amount Per Serving Calories 178Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 9mgSodium 468mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 7g
Nutrition data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
Recipe and Photo: Foodista